When is the last time you reviewed your employee handbook? Do you even have an employee handbook? The following is a list of must-haves in your handbook:
- With COVID being a hot topic right now, what do you have in your employee handbook regarding vaccinations and documentation. Mask requirements. Employee absences related to COVID
- Are you current with FMLA, ADA worker’s compensation? You may be required to comply with additional regulations with the increase of the number of employees on board.
- Do you have a policy about working from home?
- Do you have a diversity policy?
- Are you sure your handbook isn’t an “implied contract” without you even knowing it?
- Do you have a dress code? Does it include virtual meetings?
- Is your sexual harassment policy updated to reflect a virtual work environment?
- Do you have a policy about discussing salaries, politics, etc.?
- Do you address the Fair Labor Standards Act which addresses overtime, pay deductions, etc.?
- Do you review the handbook with your employees, or do you just give them a copy and ask them to sign an acknowledgement form?
These are just a few of the items contained in an employee handbook. Stay tuned for more on this topic.
Barbara Flynn, MSHR, SPHR, SHRM-SCP